Savory and Satisfying Vegan Carrot Lox Bagels. Are you in search of a new vegan breakfast sensation? Look no further than the heavenly and nutritious vegan carrot lox bagel. This delectable dish not only tantalizes your taste buds but also nourishes your body with its plant-based protein and vitamins. Like a symphony of flavors, the combination of the smoky and salty flavor of the vegan lox paired with the soft and chewy bagel is a harmony of deliciousness. A perfect breakfast for a lazy Sunday morning, or even for those who are always on the go.
What is Vegan Carrot Lox?
But first, let’s take a closer look at what exactly “vegan carrot lox” is. Vegan carrot lox is our way of replacing the smoked salmon or lox that is traditionally in this recipe. However, with a little culinary creativity, we can replicate the flavors and textures using carrots. By marinating sliced carrots in a blend of spices and liquid smoke, we can create a savory and smoky “lox” that’s perfect for topping on a bagel.
How to Make the Perfect Vegan Bagel
When it comes to the bagel, you have a few options. You can either make your own vegan bagels at home or purchase them from a store. For a truly authentic New York-style bagel, I recommend boiling them for a couple of minutes before baking to give them a chewy texture on the inside and a crispy crust on the outside. Homemade vegan bagels are a fun and delicious way to enjoy your vegan carrot lox. Try experimenting with different flours and seasonings to create unique and delicious flavors. Just be sure to let the dough rise for at least an hour before shaping and boiling to ensure a perfect texture
Next, the homemade high-protein cream cheese is made by blending tofu, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, and spices. In my opinion, this tastes better than store-bought and it’s an excellent source of protein, vitamins, and healthy fats!
Assembling the Perfect Vegan Carrot Lox Bagel
Once you have your vegan carrot lox and bagels ready, it’s time to assemble. Start by toasting your bagel to your desired level of crispiness. Then, add a generous helping of our homemade high-protein cream cheese to one-half of the bagel. Next, top with your homemade vegan carrot lox. Finally, add any additional toppings you desire such as red onion, tomato, or dill. My favorite toppings are fresh dill and a few capers for added umami.
The Versatility of Vegan Carrot Lox Bagels: A Meal for Anytime of Day
The Vegan Carrot Lox Bagel is a dish that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Whether you’re looking for a hearty vegan breakfast, a satisfying lunch, or a tasty snack, this dish is sure to hit the spot. And, with its plant-based alternative to traditional lox, it’s a great option for those looking to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet.
Not only is it delicious, but it also offers many health benefits. By choosing to eat a diet rich in plant-based foods, you can improve your overall health and well-being. So, go ahead and enjoy a Vegan Carrot Lox Bagel, knowing that you’re nourishing your body and your taste buds at the same time.
Storing and Reheating Vegan Carrot Lox Bagels
Vegan carrot lox can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply pop the bagel in the toaster or oven until heated through. You can also reheat the vegan carrot lox separately in a skillet over medium heat
Vegan carrot lox bagels are a versatile dish that can be enjoyed any time of day. For breakfast, pair it with a side of fresh fruit or a smoothie. For lunch or dinner, serve it alongside a salad or roasted vegetables. It also makes a great addition to a brunch spread or as an appetizer for parties. Experiment with different toppings and combinations to find your perfect combination.
Carrot Lox Bagel Vegan
"Smoked Salmon" Carrot Lox
- 5-6 large carrots cut into ribbons
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 nori sheets, cut finely
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
Vegan Dill Cream Cheese
- 1 brick extra firm tofu (350g)
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (half a lemon, juiced)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
Bagels and Toppings
- 6 bagels of choice
- fresh dill and capers to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover your cashews in boiling water and allow them to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a mandoline slicer, or a vegetable peeler, cut your carrots into long thin ribbons. Place the carrot ribbons into a baking dish and add 1 tbsp of olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Bake the carrots for 25 minutes or until they are tender and can be pierced with a fork.
- While the carrots are baking, make the lox marinade and vegan cream cheese.
- To make the marinade, finely chop the nori sheets into small bits and add into a bowl with the rest of the marinade ingredients. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- To make the cream cheese, drain your soaked cashews and add them to a high powered blender or food processor with the rest of the cream cheese ingredients. Blend until thick, smooth and creamy. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides while blending. If you are having troubles blending, add 1 tbsp of water at a time to loosen the mixture. Be careful not to add too much as we want the cream cheese to have a thick consistency.
- Remove baked carrots from the oven and add the lox marinade. Mix well to combine and allow the carrots to marinate for at least 1 hour. (Marinating overnight is even better!)
- Once the carrot lox and cream cheese have been prepared, toast bagels to your desired level of cripiness, add a thick schmear of cream cheese to an open faced bagel, top with a few slices of your smokey carrot lox, and garnish with fresh dill and a few capers. Serve and enjoy!
In conclusion, Vegan Carrot Lox Bagels are a delicious and nutritious way to add some variety to your breakfast routine. Not only are they a tasty treat, but they’re also a great source of plant-based protein and vitamins. The recipe is easy to make and offers a lot of flexibility in terms of toppings and serving options. Whether you’re looking for a plant-based alternative to traditional lox or simply want to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet, Vegan Carrot Lox Bagels are a fantastic choice. So, the next time you’re looking to mix things up in the kitchen, give this recipe a try, and savor the flavors of the delicious Vegan Carrot Lox Bagels.