These veganized buffalo tofu tenders are spicy and oh-so indulgent! Being vegetarian for so many years, I always felt like I was missing out on wing night. Although I didn’t want the chicken wings, I often found myself drooling over the sauce – especially spicy buffalo. This is the perfect vegan snack for game night or a great addition to wraps and salads. The air-fryer is used in this recipe to make the tofu Vegan Buffalo Tofu Wings in a flash. But don’t worry if you don’t have an air fryer, they can be baked in the oven instead.
Can leftover tofu wings be re-heated?
If you have any leftover buffalo tofu wings, they can be crisped and heated back up either in the air fryer or the oven. The microwave would likely make them a bit soggy.
What do vegan buffalo tofu wings go with?
These vegan wings hold their own all by themselves, but they are a perfect addition to buffalo Caesar wraps, or as a topping for buffalo Caesar salads. On their own, they are great served like wings with a side of vegan bleu cheese dressing, and fresh carrot and celery sticks.
Can these vegan wings be made gluten-free?
Absolutely! I’ve had them gluten-free and didn’t notice any difference in flavor. Use gluten-free bread-crumbs or crumbled-up cornflakes instead of the panko.
Crispy Air Fryer Buffalo Tofu “Wings”
- Air fryer
- 1 brick Tofu Extra firm, pressed
- 6 tbsp Cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs (can be substituted for GF)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Freshly ground black pepper
Spicy Buffalo Sauce:
- 7-10 tbsp Franks buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsp Melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- Press tofu ahead of time wrapped in a dish towel to remove all excess liquid. Tip* Tofu tastes best when it’s been frozen and thawed as it adds to the texture.
- Cut tofu into 16 sticks.
- In one bowl, add cornstarch and almond milk. Mix well with a whisk and make sure you have a nice thick consistency.
- In a separate bowl, add panko, paprika and pepper. Mix well.
- To bread the wings, dip each piece of tofu first in the wet mixture, then roll in the dry mixture until well coated.
- Placed coated wings directly onto the air fryer rack. Cook in the air fryer at 390° for 8 minutes, flipping half way through at the 4-minute mark.
- While the tenders are in the air fryer, you can prepare the buffalo sauce. Melt the vegan butter, then add in the franks buffalo hot sauce and garlic powder. Mix well. If you like your wings extra saucy and spicy, add 10tbsp of franks. If you like a little less, start with 7 tbsps.
- Remove cooked tofu from the air fryer and coat each piece entirely with the buffalo sauce.
- Serve with vegan ranch, or vegan bleu cheese dressing.
Directions for baking in the oven below:
- Place on a baking sheet on parchment paper and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes, flipping the tenders half way. Make sure the tofu wings and nice and crispy before removing from the oven. Once they are crispy, coat in the buffalo sauce and serve.