This Vegan Feta Cheese tastes amazing. One thing that was lacking from a lot of my plant-based recipes was vegan feta cheez! It has a tangy, salty flavor that can elevate a lot of salads and other dishes.
This Vegan Feta Cheese is dairy-free and has the perfect crumbly texture and is amazing on Greek salads, vegan feta pasta bakes, or any recipe that calls for salty cheese.
Homemade Vegan Feta “Cheese”
- 14 oz Firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Refined coconut oil, melted
- 6 tbsp Agar agar flakes (or 2 tbsp agar powder)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- Italian spice blend or Greek seasoning blend or Za'atar
- Drain all water from the tofu and add to a high powdered blender with garlic and onion powder, lemon juice, salt, olive oil, vinegar, coconut oil, agar agar powder or flakes, and water. Blend until smooth. I had to use the blender tool to push the mixture down while it was blending. If the coconut oil is melted before adding to the blender, it makes the blending process a little easier.
- Pour the mixture from the blender into a pot on medium heat. Stir constantly so the mixture doesn’t burn. Once the cheese begins to bubble or boil, continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and pour the plant-based vegan feta mixture into a heat safe dish that has been lightly oiled. I used a Pyrex glass baking dish 6×8. Smooth the mixture around using the back of your spatula to get it into a nice shape.
- Add your spice blend of choice sprinkling evenly on top of the cheese mixture
- Allow the cheese to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes then place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours
- Once the cheez has fully cooled, use a knife to cut it into squares, cubes or whatever shape you like your feta. Crumble it up on top of your favourite dish and enjoy!