Elevate Your Plant-Based Dishes with This Delicious Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe. Are you looking for a dairy-free alternative to feta cheese? Look no further! Our vegan feta recipe is tangy, salty, and has the perfect crumbly texture. Perfect for Greek salads, vegan pasta bakes, or any recipe that calls for a salty cheese. Give your meals an extra boost of flavor with this easy-to-make vegan feta cheese
What is agar agar powder?
Agar agar powder is a vegan substitute for gelatin, derived from marine red algae. It comes in the form of flakes or powder and is a great thickener. It is the key ingredient in this vegan feta cheese recipe, and it’s important to note that agar agar flakes are less potent than agar agar powder
Is regular or cold-pressed coconut oil okay for the vegan feta?
When making this vegan feta recipe, it is important to use refined coconut oil rather than cold-pressed coconut oil. Refined coconut oil is specifically chosen for this recipe as it will not impart any coconut flavor to the cheese and has the ideal consistency for making vegan cheese. Additionally, it’s essential to note that one tablespoon of agar flakes can be substituted with 1 tsp of agar powder. This ingredient can be found at most health food stores or easily ordered online on Amazon.
How long does the vegan feta last in the fridge?
When it comes to storage, this vegan feta cheese recipe has a shelf life of 5-7 days when kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy it within that time frame for the best taste and texture
How to use this dairy-free feta?
This vegan feta cheese is perfect for salads, sandwiches, and as a spread. It adds a tangy, salty flavor that elevates any dish. You can also try using it in my Quick and Easy Vegan Baked Feta Pasta recipe for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Homemade Vegan Feta “Cheese”
- 14 oz Firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Refined coconut oil, melted
- 6 tbsp Agar agar flakes (or 2 tbsp agar powder)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- Italian spice blend or Greek seasoning blend or Za'atar
- Drain all water from the tofu and add to a high powdered blender with garlic and onion powder, lemon juice, salt, olive oil, vinegar, coconut oil, agar agar powder or flakes, and water. Blend until smooth. I had to use the blender tool to push the mixture down while it was blending. If the coconut oil is melted before adding to the blender, it makes the blending process a little easier.
- Pour the mixture from the blender into a pot on medium heat. Stir constantly so the mixture doesn’t burn. Once the cheese begins to bubble or boil, continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and pour the plant-based vegan feta mixture into a heat safe dish that has been lightly oiled. I used a Pyrex glass baking dish 6×8. Smooth the mixture around using the back of your spatula to get it into a nice shape.
- Add your spice blend of choice sprinkling evenly on top of the cheese mixture
- Allow the cheese to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes then place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours
- Once the cheez has fully cooled, use a knife to cut it into squares, cubes or whatever shape you like your feta. Crumble it up on top of your favourite dish and enjoy!