This delicious vegan chickpea shawarma kale salad recipe is perfect for anyone looking for a tasty and easy-to-make gluten-free and sugar-free meal. The homemade pickled onions recipe is a highlight of this dish, adding a tangy and zesty flavor to the salad. This recipe is also highly customizable, making it perfect for anyone looking to add their own personal touch to the dish.
What else can I eat with this Vegan Chickpea Shawarma Kale Salad?
This vegan chickpea kale salad recipe is also highly customizable. A standout feature of this recipe is the homemade pickled onions, which add a nice tangy twist to the dish. To make it even more delicious, you can pair it with a flatbread such as naan. Additionally, adding olives to the salad is a great way to boost the flavor.
How to add a cheese flavor to this salad?
How to store Vegan Chickpea Shawarma Kale Salad?
To store this salad, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The kale may start to wilt after this time, so it’s best to eat it within the first 2 days for optimal freshness. Keep the dressing separate until ready to eat to prevent the salad from getting soggy. Enjoy!
How To Make The Chickpea Shawarma Vegan Kale Salad
Get ready for a flavor explosion with this vegan chickpea shawarma kale salad recipe! The first step is to prepare the pickled red onions (the recipe can be found here), which add a tangy twist to the dish. Once that’s done, massage the kale with a touch of olive oil to make it more tender. Next, chop up some fresh cucumber, tomato, and parsley for a burst of color and flavor. Mix together the tahini sauce ingredients for a creamy dressing.
In a skillet, heat up some oil and add the chickpeas, lemon, and spices. Cook until they’re nice and heated through. Assemble the salad by dividing the kale, veggies, and pickled onions among 4 bowls or containers. Top each bowl with the warm chickpeas and drizzle on the tahini sauce. Serve with pita bread and hummus for a complete meal. For an extra cheesy flavor, sprinkle on some nutritional yeast. Indulge in this delicious and healthy vegan salad!
Vegan Chickpea Shawarma Kale Salad
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas 2, 15 oz cans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes if you want it spicy!
- 1 cup chopped kale per serving (plus a little olive oil for massaging)
- ¼ cup diced cucumber per serving
- ¼ cup diced tomato per serving
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley per serving
- few tbsp tbsp pickled onions per serving (see notes)
- 1 to 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional to add to the top of the salad)
Tahini Lemon Sauce
- 5 tbsp tahini (75g)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)water to adjust consistency
- Prepare the pickled red onion if you haven’t already. See our Quick & Easy Pickled Onions Recipe
- Massage the kale with 1/2 tsp of olive oil to soften. Set aside.
- Chop the cucumber, tomato, and parsley.
- Whisk the tahini sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas, lemon, and spices and heat through, about 5-10 minutes.
- While they’re cooking, divide the kale, chopped veggies, and pickled onions between 4 bowls or containers.
- Divide the chickpeas between each bowl then top each with tahini sauce. Serve with pita and if desired, hummus.
- Optional, sprinkle one to two tbsp of nutritional yeast for a more cheesy flavor.