Satisfy your cravings for Indian-inspired flavors with this mouth-watering vegan chickpea butter chicken recipe. This dish is the perfect recipe for a fast and easy weeknight dinner. It can be made in just 30 minutes. Made with a butter chicken spice blend, this recipe will tantalize your taste buds and have you coming back for more. Versatile in terms of protein and vegetables, you can use chickpeas or tofu. Add any peppers or veggies of your choice. The recipe calls for a butter chicken spice blend. This blend can be prepared in advance for added convenience. This recipe includes mostly pantry items, making it a great option for those who don’t have many fresh ingredients on hand. So, fire up your stove. Savor the delicious, vegan butter chicken recipe that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Try it today and you won’t be disappointed!
Want to add a boost of nutrition to your Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken?
The answer is yes, you can! Incorporating vegetables is a great way to elevate the dish and add more flavor and texture. Experiment with your favorite peppers or veggies and customize the dish to your taste. If you’re adding vegetables, we recommend using only 1 can of chickpeas to keep the dish balance and not too overpowering. Add some color and crunch to your vegan butter chicken recipe and enjoy a wholesome and delicious meal.
Looking for a nut-free alternative to ground cashews in your Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken?
Tofu is a great substitute that can be used to make the dish. The tofu version of this recipe is a delicious and protein-packed alternative that is perfect for those who are looking for a nut-free option. If you’re interested in trying the tofu version of this recipe, let us know by commenting below. We’ll be happy to share it with you. So, don’t let nut allergies stop you from enjoying this delicious and satisfying meal!
Worried about not being able to find a butter chicken spice blend for your Vegan Chickpea Butter Chicken recipe?
Don’t let that stop you from enjoying this flavorful, Indian-inspired dish! A butter chicken spice blend is a convenient ingredient that makes the recipe a little easier, but it’s not necessary. You can certainly use another brand or make your own blend with the following spices: Coriander, Red chili, Salt, Cumin powder, Black pepper, Turmeric, Cassia, Cardamom green, Cloves, Nutmeg, Mace, Star Anise. My personal favorite is the MDH butter chicken spice mix from a superstore. But you can use any other brand that you find. With these spices in your pantry, you can easily whip up a delicious and authentic butter chicken spice blend that will make your vegan chickpea butter chicken recipe taste even better.
Looking for a delicious and nutritious meal?
Look no further than this vegan butter chicken recipe made with chickpeas! This dish is easy to make with mostly pantry items. It’s also packed with health benefits. Chickpeas are a great source of vegan protein, help reduce cholesterol, provide fiber, calcium, iron, and fight inflammation. They’re also great for hair and skin, and may even help control diabetes.
Serve this vegan butter chicken with basmati rice and garlic naan for a complete meal that’s not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. And if you love this recipe, be sure to check out our one pot lentil curry recipe too! So, dig in and enjoy the taste of good health with every bite.
Best Chickpea Vegan Butter Chicken Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (or oil)
- ½ onion diced large onion
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp salt free butter chicken spice blend
- 1 ½ cans chickpeas (based on a 19oz or 540 ml can)
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 tbsp hot chilli flakes or powder (optional)
- 10 cashews (optional, but gives it such a nice flavour and a thicker, creamier consistency!)
Items to serve with
- cliantro (optional)
- Add 2 Tbsp vegan butter (or oil) to a pan on medium heat
- Add 1/2 diced large onion
- Cook the butter and onion on medium heat for 3-4 minutes
- Next add 1 heaping Tbsp of minced ginger
- And 3 cloves of minced garlic
- Cook another 1-2 minutes
- Next add 1 heaping Tbsp of salt free butter chicken spice blend
- Mix it up then add 6 tbsp tomato paste
- Add 1 and 1/2 cans of rinsed and drained chickpeas (based on a 19oz or 540 ml can)
- Add a little salt to taste and mix it well till the chickpeas are coated in the mixture
- Add 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- Add hot chilli flakes or powder to your preferred spice level (optional, you know I like a lot!! 😝 🔥)
- Reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes – stirring often
- Add 10 ground up cashews (optional, but gives it such a nice flavour and a thicker, creamier consistency!)
- Serve with fresh cilantro and rice or naan. Enjoy!
- Red chili
- Cumin powder
- Black pepper
- Cardamom green
- Star Anise
- Great source of vegan protein
- Reduces cholesterol
- Great source of fiber
- Rich in calcium
- Great source of iron
- Helps fight inflammation
- Great for hair and skin
- May help control diabetes