This Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup is simple, healthy, delicious, and hearty! You won’t believe it’s not from Panera! This is a staple in our house and it’s the perfect lunch by itself or paired with a delicious vegan grilled cheese sandwich. This vegan soup is one you do not want to miss out on!
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 3 ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ to 1 cup vegan cheddar optional but SO good!
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1 large carrot cut into little slivers
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp turmeric (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in boiling water for about 10 minutes and then drain. Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and water into a blender. Blend on high till it’s smooth and creamy and set it aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add in a little veg broth (a couple tablespoons) with the onions and celery. Cook for about 3 minutes then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- The vegetable broth prevents the onions and veggies from sticking to the pan. You may need to add a little more as you go along. If you prefer oil, 2 tbsps can be used instead.
- Add the rest of your broth along with the pre-blended cashew cream. Mix it up then add in the broccoli, carrot, nutmeg, and turmeric. Simmer for 15 mins. Then if you want to add cheddar – add that in and simmer for another 5 minutes. Once the soup is nice and thick, add your salt and pepper and serve with your favourite garnishes!