This easy vegan enchilada sauce is packed full of flavor. Not only is it delicious, but it’s so easy to make. Made with all pantry ingredients so you don’t have to run out to the store to enjoy this homemade sauce. This tex mex enchilada sauce will convince you to never use store-bought again!
How long does enchilada sauce last?
Enchilada sauce can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure the sauce cools to room temperature before transferring it into the fridge or freezer.
Can you freeze enchilada sauce?
Absolutely! Enchilada sauce keeps in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let the sauce cool to room temperature, then transfer it to a freezer-safe jar or container.
Look for a chili powder that contains a blend of spices such as Club House chili powder. This chili powder contains a blend of chili pepper, spices, and oregano. Chili powder has an earthy and slightly sweet flavor. Straight-up hot chili powder can be very spicy if you add too much.
Can you make enchilada sauce without tomato sauce?
Absolutely! Just remove the tomato paste from this recipe, and add 1 tsp of vinegar for acidity. Enchilada sauce is still incredibly delicious without tomatoes. The ingredients that give enchilada sauce its unique flavor are chilies or chili powder. I recommend 2 tbsps of chili powder if you can handle the heat.
Is enchilada sauce vegan?
There are different variations when it comes to enchilada sauce. Some enchilada sauce recipes include chicken broth. Swap chicken broth for a vegan alternative and the enchilada sauce will be vegan.
Is enchilada sauce gluten-free?
Depending on the recipe, some enchilada sauce contains flour. In this recipe, simply swap the flour for all-purpose gluten-free flour. I recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour or Robin Hood gluten-free all-purpose blend.
Easy Enchilada Sauce Vegan
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour or GF flour
- 1 tbsp chili powder (use 2 tbsp for more spice)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups chickenless broth or veg broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Measure all your spices and ingredients out ahead of time. Keep them in a bowl next to the stove. Don't walk away from the stove as this sauce requires constant attention!
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add the oil and wait until it's warm.
- Next, add in the flour. You should get a nice little sizzle when the flour comes in contact with the oil.
- Add in all the dried spices and whisk constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, mix and slowly add in the chickenless broth. Whisk constantly to remove any lumps.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook the sauce for about 5-7 minutes whisking constantly until it thickens.
- Remove from heat, and season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Enjoy this sauce on your favourite enchiladas!