Say goodbye to bland, store-bought vegan cream cheese and hello to a symphony of flavors with this homemade cashew tofu cream cheese spread. Creamy, tangy, and oh-so-spreadable, this recipe is a plant-based masterpiece that will elevate your morning bagel game to new heights. With the perfect balance of protein-packed tofu and rich, buttery cashews, this cream cheese is a nutritional powerhouse that will keep you satisfied all morning long. And, with the added nutty, cheesy flavor of nutritional yeast, it’s a B vitamin bonanza that’s sure to delight your taste buds.
Cashew Tofu Cream Cheese ingredients
Gather your ingredients and prepare for a culinary adventure with this delectable vegan cream cheese recipe. The star players of this dish are the creamy cashews and the protein-packed tofu, which come together to create a rich and satisfying spread. Add in the nutritional yeast for a boost of B vitamins and a cheesy flavor, and a squeeze of fresh lemon for a bright pop of acidity. Customize the flavor with your favorite spices or herbs, and voila! You have a delicious and healthy cashew tofu cream cheese spread that’s perfect for spreading on bagels, crackers, or using as a dip.
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 a lemon freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- spices or herbs of your choosing (optional)
Creating the Perfect Vegan Cream Cheese Consistency: Tips and Tricks
Soaking the Cashews: The Key to a Silky Smooth Spread
Before diving into the recipe, it’s important to properly prepare the cashews. Soak them in boiling water for at least 10 minutes to soften them. This step is crucial as it ensures that the cashews blend smoothly, creating a velvety cream cheese-like texture. Once they are done soaking, drain and rinse the cashews before using them in the recipe.
Blending to Perfection: Achieving that Cream Cheese Consistency
In a high-powered blender or food processor, combine the tofu, soaked and drained cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and salt. Process the ingredients until they are smooth and creamy. You may need to pause and scrape down the mixture occasionally. If the mixture is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to loosen it up. Being careful not to add too much as we want a thick cream cheese-like consistency. The final result should be a delicious and healthy plant-based alternative to traditional cream cheese that you can enjoy on your bagels, crackers or as a dip.
Unleash your inner chef and add a personal touch to this vegan cashew tofu cream cheese recipe and make it your own! Experiment with different herbs and spices to add a unique twist to the flavor. If you’re a fan of a sweeter cream cheese. You can also add a touch of organic sugar or your preferred sweetener to the mix.
Toppings For the Cream “Cheese”
Get creative with your cashew tofu cream cheese. Top it off with a variety of herbs and spices to take the flavor to the next level. Here are a few of my personal favorites:
- Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese. Add in 3 cloves of roasted or fresh garlic and 1 tsp of Italian spice blend for a savory and aromatic spread.
- Lemon Dill Cream Cheese. Give your cream cheese a tangy and fresh touch by adding in the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp of lemon zest, and 1/4 cup of finely diced fresh dill.
- Classic Herb Cream Cheese. Keep it simple with a sprinkle of Italian spice, garlic, and onion powder for a classic herb-flavored cream cheese that’s sure to please.
This vegan cream cheese can be served right away, but it gets even better when left in the fridge. Serve it with bagels, crackers, bread, fruits, or veggie sticks.
Not only is this vegan tofu cashew cream cheese delicious and versatile, but it’s also a nutritious and guilt-free alternative to traditional cream cheese. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Cashew Tofu Cream Cheese
- 1 High powered blender or food processor
- 1 brick extra firm tofu (350g)
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (half a lemon, juiced)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (use 1/8 cup if you like less nooch)
- 1 tsp dried spices of your choosing, optional (garlic, onion, dill, Italian spice, everything bagel spice, etc)
- 1/4 cup water
- Cover your cashews in boiling water and allow them to soak for at least 10 minutes. (If you can leave them longer, even better!)
- Drain your soaked cashews and add them to a high powered blender or food processor with the rest of the cream cheese ingredients.
- Blend until thick, smooth and creamy. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides while blending. If you are having troubles blending, add 1 tbsp of water at a time to loosen the mixture. Be careful not to add too much as we want the cream cheese to have a thick consistency.
- Serve on a bagel, or use in any recipe that calls for cream cheese. Enjoy!
- Herb and garlic cream cheese. Add 3 cloves of roasted or fresh garlic, and 1 tsp of Italian spice blend. (This one is for the garlic lovers!)
- Lemon Dill cream cheese. Add the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp of lemon zest, and 1/4 cup fresh dill finely diced.
- I also love to just add a dash of Italian spice, garlic and onion powder for a simple herb flavoured cream cheese.
In conclusion, this vegan cashew tofu cream cheese recipe is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional cream cheese. Made with simple, plant-based ingredients like tofu and cashews, this cream cheese is packed with protein and healthy fats. Plus, with the addition of nutritional yeast, it’s also a great source of B vitamins. It’s easy to make, versatile, and can be customized to your taste preferences by adding different herbs and spices. Whether you’re spreading it on a bagel or using it as a dip, this cashew tofu cream cheese is sure to impress. Give it a try and enjoy the delicious, creamy taste of this vegan cream cheese alternative.