These Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are the perfect savory appetizer for your next game night or party! With the use of an air fryer, these vegan buffalo cauliflower wings come out crispy and delicious, without all the added oil and guilt. The cauliflower florets are coated in a batter made from flour, spices, and non-dairy milk, then air-fried to perfection.
Topped with a tangy and spicy buffalo sauce, these cauliflower wings will be a hit at any gathering. Serve with a side of vegan ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping and watch them disappear before your eyes. These vegan buffalo cauliflower wings are a must-try for any plant-based foodie or anyone looking for a healthier alternative to traditional chicken wings.
How to make vegan buffalo cauliflower wings less spicy?
If you prefer less heat in your buffalo cauliflower wings, you can reduce the amount of hot sauce used in the recipe. You can also opt for a milder hot sauce or add more vegan butter or oil to the sauce to balance out the spiciness. Another option is to serve the wings with a cooling dip, such as vegan blue cheese or ranch dressing, to help counteract the heat.
Why are my Buffalo Cauliflower Wings soggy?
There are a few reasons why vegan cauliflower wings can become soggy.
- The cauliflower wasn’t properly dried before baking or frying. Make sure to wash the cauliflower and allow it enough time to dry before cooking it.
- Too much sauce was used. When adding the buffalo sauce, be mindful not to use too much as it can result in a soggy texture.
- The wings sat out for too long. Cauliflower wings are best served immediately after cooking. If they sit out for too long and begin to cool, it can alter the texture.
Is buffalo sauce vegan-friendly?
Traditional buffalo sauce contains butter, which is not suitable for vegans. However, it is easy to make a vegan version by using vegan butter or other plant-based alternatives. One popular option for vegans is Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo sauce, which is accidentally vegan and offers a great taste. Just keep in mind that not all buffalo sauces are vegan-friendly, so be sure to check the ingredient list before using it in your recipe.
How to make buffalo cauliflower wings crispy?
Making crispy cauliflower wings is all about the technique. First, make sure to use a high-heat cooking method such as baking or air frying. Second, use a high-heat oil such as avocado oil or coconut oil. Third, make sure to coat the cauliflower florets evenly and thoroughly with the batter or breading. Lastly, cook the cauliflower wings in small batches to avoid overcrowding the cooking surface and allow for proper air circulation.
Experience the delicious taste of buffalo wings without the guilt with our vegan cauliflower wing recipe. For even more plant-based options, try our tofu buffalo tenders for a protein-packed alternative. Enjoy all the flavor without sacrificing your dietary restrictions.
Vegan Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3/4 cup soy milk (or other unsweetened, neutral plant milk)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (can be subbed for GF flour)
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup buffalo sauce (I used Frank's)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp agave to drizzle on top
- fresh parsley
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into bite-sized florets. Remove the stems. (they can be frozen and saved for soup!)
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, paprika, pepper and garlic powder.
- Next, add in the olive oil and plant milk and whisk together until smooth.
- Add the cauliflower florets into the batter and gently mix together until they are thoroughly coated. Add the panko bread crumbs and toss gently.
- Working in batches, place the cauliflower in the air fryer leaving space between each peice. Cook at 390 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip the cauliflower halfway and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Smaller pieces will take less time than larger florets. (See the notes below for baking in the oven instead of using an air fryer.)
- While the cauliflower is in the air fryer, prepare the buffalo sauce. Melt the vegan butter and whisk well with the frank's buffalo sauce.
- Toss the cauliflower in a mixing bowl with the buffalo sauce.
- Add cauliflower back into the air fryer for 2 minutes with the sauce on so it slightly caramelizes. Drizzle with a little agave, serve with vegan ranch or bleu cheese dressing and enjoy!
- The cauliflower wasn’t properly dried before baking or frying. Of course, washing your vegetable is a step that can’t be skipped. That being said, you’ll need to allow your cauliflower time to dry before cooking it.
- Too much sauce was used. First, the cauliflower wings are air fried or baked in batter. Then, the buffalo sauce is added to the wings before they are fried/baked again. If too much sauce is used, this can result in a “soggy” texture.
- They sat out for too long. Cauliflower wings are best served immediately. If they sit out for too long, and begin to cool this can alter the texture.
In conclusion, buffalo cauliflower wings are a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional chicken wings. They are easy to make, customizable to your desired level of spiciness, and perfect for game nights or parties. With the right preparation and seasoning, they can be crispy and flavorful, avoiding the soggy texture. Additionally, the buffalo sauce can be easily made vegan by substituting in vegan butter. These vegan air fryer vegan cauliflower wings are sure to be a hit with guests and a great way to get in some veggies while enjoying a tasty finger-licking sauce. Don’t forget to try out our Tofu buffalo tenders for an even more unique and delicious experience!