The Best Cowboy Caviar Recipe is a colorful blend of beans and veggies topped with a chili-lime vinaigrette. This appetizer will have your guests begging for the recipe!
Cowboy caviar, also referred to as Texas caviar is one of my all-time favorite vegan dips. I can’t count the number of times I’ve made this for guests as an appetizer.
There’s a reason I make it again and again. Guests are always gobbling it up, going back for seconds, and begging for the recipe.
This bean forward dip is commonly served with corn tortilla chips. It can also be served as a side salad. As well as being vegan, Texas caviar is also gluten-free. It’s so delicious that no one realizes it’s a vegan and gluten-free dip! Cowboy caviar really is a great vegan appetizer and vegan BBQ side dish.
Commonly asked questions about Cowboy Caviar
Q: What is cowboy caviar made from?
A: Cowboy caviar is a dip made from black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro topped with a vinaigrette made from oil, vinegar, chili powder, sugar or maple syrup, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Jalapeños can be added for some extra kick and avocados for extra creaminess.
Q: Is cowboy caviar healthy?
A: It absolutely is! The Best Cowboy Caviar Recipe uses maple syrup instead of sugar for a healthier choice. Cowboy caviar is also packed full of plant diversity, vegetables, beans, and legumes.
Q: Can I make cowboy caviar without sugar?
A: You sure can! Add in a diced gala apple to add some natural sweetness to this plant-based dip.
Q: How long does Texas caviar last in the fridge?
A: Texas caviar will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. It’s best served within the first day or two. Avocados will not stay fresh as long. If using avocados, add them in right before serving for best results.
Q: Is Texas caviar vegan?
A: If you make it yourself you can guarantee that this dip is vegan. There are some variations that include meat, but the traditional recipe is vegan.
Q: Can cowboy caviar be eaten as a salad?
A: For sure! Cowboy caviar makes a great lunch salad or side salad and is perfect for vegan meal prep.
The Best Cowboy Caviar (Texas Caviar)
- 1 19 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 19 oz can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 12 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 an orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes OR 12 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1-2 ripe avocados, diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely diced
Chili Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar (red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar work too)
- the juice of one fresh lime (about 2 tbsps)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (organic sugar or agave can be substituted)
- 1 tbsp chili powder (use 1 tsp for less of a kick)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- To a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, peppers, cilantro, corn, tomatoes, avocados, and onion.
- In a jar or separate bowl, add in the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Next, add the chili lime dressing overtop of the bean and vegetable mixture.
- Mix thoroughly to combine. If you're not serving immediatly, toss well before serving.
- It can be served cold or at room temperature. Serve with tortilla chips and ENJOY!